Forum Name: Fertility

Question: not ovulating

auggielynn - Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:45 am

i just turned 20 and havn't had a period for three months. i went to my OBGYN the other day and he said i wasn't pregnant which is what i thought and prescribed me medroxyprogesterone to jump start my ovaries and so that i'll have my period. i do have a family history of diabetes and cancer. i'm considered overweight for my height, i'm 5'10. i've been tested for diabetes and cancer and the tests came back negitive. he wants to test me for a thyroid disorder but decided to try this first which is fine by me. i just wanted to know why a woman who is healthy and just starting her 20's would have her ovaries stop working.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:19 pm

User avatar There are various glands that play a role in the regulation of your periods, starting with the pituitary gland. Thyroid is another one. There is also the possibility of PCOS (Polycystic Overian Syndrome). I would recommend you follow up with your doctor on this.