Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Masturbation and PE

 ely2333 - Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:00 pm

I used to masturbate for years when I was growing up as a kid. I was sexually active from about the age of 18 and I am now 24. In the past, premature ejaculation was never a problem until about 2 years ago when I was in a serious relationship and I didn't last long with her at all, now I am getting married to another girl but still don't last long and I want to be the best I can for her. What can I do to fix this? If I don't do anything like forplay or anything like that, would it help? Can I take anything?

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:35 pm

User avatar Hi Ely2333,

There are a few things that can be done for PE. A technique in which the penis is squeezed just below the head when the sensation of ejaculation is felt can be helpful. However, it should be done 3-4 times before allowing ejaculation if possible. If this is consistently done, over the course of several months, most men gain significant control back over ejaculation.

If this fails, there are some medications for PE. In particular, SSRI antidepressants are often used to take advantage of their side effect of delayed ejaculation.

These are prescription medications so you will need to see your doctor for an evaluation to discuss your symptoms if you wish to try something like this.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us