Question: Masturbation and PE

ely2333 - Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:00 pm

I used to masturbate for years when I was growing up as a kid. I was sexually active from about the age of 18 and I am now 24. In the past, premature ejaculation was never a problem until about 2 years ago when I was in a serious relationship and I didn't last long with her at all, now I am getting married to another girl but still don't last long and I want to be the best I can for her. What can I do to fix this? If I don't do anything like forplay or anything like that, would it help? Can I take anything?

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:35 pm

User avatar Hi Ely2333,

There are a few things that can be done for PE. A technique in which the penis is squeezed just below the head when the sensation of ejaculation is felt can be helpful. However, it should be done 3-4 times before allowing ejaculation if possible. If this is consistently done, over the course of several months, most men gain significant control back over ejaculation.

If this fails, there are some medications for PE. In particular, SSRI antidepressants are often used to take advantage of their side effect of delayed ejaculation.

These are prescription medications so you will need to see your doctor for an evaluation to discuss your symptoms if you wish to try something like this.