Question: wart or syphilis or skin protein??

bigboy14 - Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:14 pm

age: 23
Sex: male
Past diagnoses: none
past surgeries: none
family history : none
Current medications: none

Today is July 5th and on May the 25th, I woke up with a large pimple like structure on the side of my penis shaft. It was think and red from irritation with a white head. I began to squeeze and white puss began to come out (only little at a time came out). I began do to do the same for next couple weeks and the size of the infection decreased but became hard. About two weeks ago, I had pulled out that might have been the white head. It was hard and shaped like a grain of rice…today, I know there is something still their…it feels like there is a lump under the skin, its hard. There is no pain, itchiness with the lump.

I have been having unprotected sex with my girlfriend.

Is this herpes?
boil, pimple?
do I need surgery?

doctor: chan lowes response

From your description it sounds as if a skin pore became clogged and possibly infected.

If the area is not red and tender I would recommend you continue to observe it. I would not suggest continuing to try to drain it. If it does become red and painful or if it is not going away I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation.

It does not sound like herpes and it is unlikely that you will need surgery.

My response:
Hey Doc,
Its been about three weeks sense the visit with my local doctor. he had given me two Antibiotics (doxycyclin , and sulfmeth/trimeth) taken for two weeks twice a day. He assured me that is was not herpes. today, the lump under the skin is still there. it seems nothing has happened. I pressed it, white puss excaped. is this Skin Protein? the lump under the skin is hard and does not hurt or nor tender.

does syphilis create these types of symptoms?
what do you recommend that I do?
should I continue taking the medication?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:41 pm

User avatar Hi Bigboy14,

Sorry I didn't respond to your other follow up. Somehow I missed it.

The reassuring thing is that your doctor does not feel as if this is herpes. It also does not sound like syphilis based on your description.

It still sounds as if you have a pore that has become clogged and is accruing inflammatory material beneath it. This material is likely a mixture of white blood cells and skin proteins.

You may have a pore that is chronically inflamed and is not improving. If the antibiotics don't help I would recommend that you see a dermatologist to see if there are other treatments that help. Rarely, things such as this need to be drained by making a very small incision and cleaning out the inside. This would typically be an office procedure if needed.