Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: i was to get pregnant

mrcraigmack - Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:20 pm

i want to get my wife pregnant but i cant i think, i smoke weed and masterbate since i was 13, could that be whats wrong.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:10 am

User avatar Marijuana causes obstruction in sperm mobility and can reduce the sperm count so, yes, this could be contributing to your problem, though it may not be the only thing affecting your efforts. It also decreases the volume of seminal fluid. According to some researchers, Marijuana can cause changes in the process of hyper activation of sperm. The sperm of Marijuana smokers moves too fast at the early stage and may burn out before the process of fertilization, thus causing temporary infertility. These effects are not permanent and can be reversed within 30 days of stopping Marijuana's use.

I know of no reason the masturbation would be causing this problem but some doctors advise waiting a day between efforts at sexual intercourse in someone who is trying to become pregnant. This seems to be helpful for the adequate sperm count. In this way, masturbation could contribute negatively, depending on how frequently you do it.

It also seems like a bit of a waste when you are attempting pregnancy. Use all the sperm when trying to conceive rather than wasting it. This alone should improve your odds..

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us