Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: lack of desire after orgasm

ginzy - Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:52 am

I am a 35 y/o woman. I have had a D&C and a tubal ligation. My prob is once I have reached an orgasm I have no more desire to continue with intercourse, nor is it pleasurable,even tho my husband has not yet reached orgasm. What causes this and how do I fix it? My husband doesn't seem to understand this since women are supposed to have multiple orgasms. He thinks I should be able to continue with pleasure. It becomes very uncomfortable after the orgasm. Not painful, but uncomfortable. I am not taking any medications. This has been a problem I have had for several yrs.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:59 pm

User avatar This is very typical. While multiple orgasms make good magazine articles and TV talk show subjects, in reality they are not that common. I dare say it is more typical to be as you describe. The arousal is intended to do just as it is doing for you. Climax is just that - climax, signifying the end of the aroused state.

Hopefully your husband can learn a bit about women and come to appreciate what is unique about you and the two of you can find ways that work for both of you. You may be able to find a book on the subject that you can read together. The idea that once is not enough was not based on any scientific study.

Perhaps you could work toward helping your husband to climax first, then concentrate on you, although the same situation is likely to be in reverse when he finds there is less desire to continue after the orgasm.

I understand where he is coming from, given the media representations, but it would be good if he could try to better understand your individual needs and desires.