Question: Masturbation

ralexander - Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Can masturbation cause any physical harm on your body? I have read in encyclopedias that masturbation has no risks of physical harm but recently I read on the internet that it can have negative effect. Which is the truth?

Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:59 pm

User avatar Masturbation can certainly become addictive and often require increasingly intense visual or other stimulation. This can have a definite negative effect on relationships. Pornography, often used in conjunction with masturbation, is also very addictive but even more harmful in a committed relationship such as marriage. This is because it is not real but gives the illusion of real, creating false expectations in a real relationship. It is extremely addictive, very difficult to quit, and serves no useful purpose. It can also take an inordinate amount of time from the real relationship.

Physically, there could be trauma if instruments are used or risky behavior employed as a way to stimulate oneself. Other side effects of the addiction would include creating a "need" for daily (or even more frequent) orgasms with frustration if that need isn't met. This can also adversely affect a relationship where sex is then expected or demanded in order to keep the pace going. Sexual relations are best when both parties are in agreement about the amount and quality of the encounter. Excessive masturbation can cause a feeling of coercion or can even make the partner feel "left out" or unneeded.

You may find your sex life is much better without masturbation, including your ability to be aroused. But, as for actual physical harm, I am not aware of any studies showing this, though chafing or other irritation could occur. But, don't be misled thinking if there is nothing physically damaging, there will be no damage. Psychological problems cause a myriad of ills and can even make you physically sick.

Irritability is frequently cited by regular participants who try to stop or even who miss a day. This can also lead to relationship difficulties. Some men have reported difficulty maintaining an erection with their partners after becoming accustomed to masturbation as a means to sexual satisfaction. Like most things, moderation is best and the "need" to do it is created psychologically and through habit. A person who has guilt feelings about this will probably also experience negative effects. So, weighing the risks and benefits would be wise.
 nidtz75 - Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:48 pm

I am suffering with the problems mentioned in your first paragraph. I am unable to have sex with my wife as I don't get erection while doing the same. Please let me know that what can I do to have erection and enjoy sex wth my wife.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:52 am

User avatar I don't know if you might be a candidate for Viagra, Cialis or Levitra but these have helped many men achieve erections and enjoy satisfying sex. I would discuss it with your doctor to see if you are having some form of erectile dysfunction.

Other things to do would be to consider seeing a sex therapist and working to enhance your relationship in other ways. Sex is often a barometer of how the relationship is going.