Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: does this sound like pregnancy or something else?

lilylenay - Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:49 pm

I am 21 years old. I have had 2 miscarriages and one birth. I also have endometriosis. Ok my cycles are 32 days and always on time until this month and when I have been pregnant. I have no signs that my period is on it's way but I am not sure I am or could be pregnant. That would really be the only symptom I have thus far. And my husband and I have used condoms since our daughter was born. I know condoms aren't 100%. But as I said I only have the missed period going for me. I am 2 days late and the never happens,so I am confused. If you could share your thoughts on this matter I'd appreciate it. Thank you and God Bless.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:41 pm

User avatar It is impossible to say from just a late period. You could try a pregnancy test, urine home tests are accurate as early as now (2 days after period was due) but be sure to follow directions and use first morning urine. If this is negative and you still don't get your period, wait a week and repeat the test. Just because you haven't been late before doesn't mean it couldn't happen without pregnancy being the cause.

Good luck
 lilylenay - Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:21 pm

what else besides pregnancy could cause a late period? I know stress can do it but I am not under an unusual amount of stress so I don't know.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:02 pm

User avatar Besides stress, the most common reason is simple hormonal fluctuation. The body is not a constant and unvarying machine putting out chemicals at exactly the same rate and amount every minute of every day. It is the rare exception when a woman is absolutely constant to the day in her cycle - lucky because it is easier to plan - but most people vary at times.

Also there are other glands that regulate and if the "master glands" are "off" a bit, it can affect all kinds of bodily functions. Usually things reverse themselves as the body attempts to remain in homeostasis. This is why we don't usually panic with single variations to what is "normal" for us. But, if it persists, it warrants having a doctor check things out.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us