Forum Name: Fertility

Question: does this sound like pregnancy or something else?

lilylenay - Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:49 pm

I am 21 years old. I have had 2 miscarriages and one birth. I also have endometriosis. Ok my cycles are 32 days and always on time until this month and when I have been pregnant. I have no signs that my period is on it's way but I am not sure I am or could be pregnant. That would really be the only symptom I have thus far. And my husband and I have used condoms since our daughter was born. I know condoms aren't 100%. But as I said I only have the missed period going for me. I am 2 days late and the never happens,so I am confused. If you could share your thoughts on this matter I'd appreciate it. Thank you and God Bless.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:41 pm

User avatar It is impossible to say from just a late period. You could try a pregnancy test, urine home tests are accurate as early as now (2 days after period was due) but be sure to follow directions and use first morning urine. If this is negative and you still don't get your period, wait a week and repeat the test. Just because you haven't been late before doesn't mean it couldn't happen without pregnancy being the cause.

Good luck
 lilylenay - Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:21 pm

what else besides pregnancy could cause a late period? I know stress can do it but I am not under an unusual amount of stress so I don't know.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:02 pm

User avatar Besides stress, the most common reason is simple hormonal fluctuation. The body is not a constant and unvarying machine putting out chemicals at exactly the same rate and amount every minute of every day. It is the rare exception when a woman is absolutely constant to the day in her cycle - lucky because it is easier to plan - but most people vary at times.

Also there are other glands that regulate and if the "master glands" are "off" a bit, it can affect all kinds of bodily functions. Usually things reverse themselves as the body attempts to remain in homeostasis. This is why we don't usually panic with single variations to what is "normal" for us. But, if it persists, it warrants having a doctor check things out.