Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Ovulation?

martinezfive - Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:56 am

Is there a method for suppressing ovulation. I know most oral contraceptives suppress ovulation and thin the uterine lining, but I'm looking for ovulation suppression only.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:38 am

User avatar Dear Martinezfive,

Ovulation and menstruation is a complex hormonal process. The events leading to ovulation lead to increase in thickness of the uterine lining by releasing a hormone called estrogen.

When it comes to contraceptive pills, i think the 4th generation (the latest) supply very minute amounts of estrogen just enough to suppress ovulation but at the same it is estrogen so it is going to affect the lining of the uterus and estrogen causes the lining of the uterus to thicken.

i am not sure whether the amount of estrogen in those pills is enough to affect the uterine lining or not, but i think it is a sufficient amount to cause thickening of the uterine lining, so i don't think you have to worry about the uterine lining being thin.