Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Ovulation?

martinezfive - Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:56 am

Is there a method for suppressing ovulation. I know most oral contraceptives suppress ovulation and thin the uterine lining, but I'm looking for ovulation suppression only.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:38 am

User avatar Dear Martinezfive,

Ovulation and menstruation is a complex hormonal process. The events leading to ovulation lead to increase in thickness of the uterine lining by releasing a hormone called estrogen.

When it comes to contraceptive pills, i think the 4th generation (the latest) supply very minute amounts of estrogen just enough to suppress ovulation but at the same it is estrogen so it is going to affect the lining of the uterus and estrogen causes the lining of the uterus to thicken.

i am not sure whether the amount of estrogen in those pills is enough to affect the uterine lining or not, but i think it is a sufficient amount to cause thickening of the uterine lining, so i don't think you have to worry about the uterine lining being thin.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us