Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Chronic vaginal infection

 Marie55 - Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:50 pm

Im 41, female & Married for 12 years. For the past 4 years Ive been suffering with a Chronic vaginal Infections. Ive been to several Doctors & treated for a yeast infection. The Diflucan works great but as soon as I have sex again, Oral or otherwise it comes right back .. My symptoms are severe vaginal burning & irratation after sex or after I have an orgasiam. Otherwise it doesnt bother me. Its almost like Im allergic to my own fluid.

Right before this started I found out I had fibromyalgia and was suddenly allergic to things I had never had a problen with before like pain killers, soaps & any kind of bubble bath & scented anything. Ive tried every thing I can think of, Read about or get my hands on to get rid of this horrible infection but Nothing seems to kill it. It was under my breasts & under my arms but Ive got that under control.

Is their anything you can suggest I do to get rid of this infection ?

Thanks so much
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:03 pm

User avatar It is unknown why some women are prone to this very inconvenient problem. It is all about the normal bacteria and pH of the body and sometimes it is just more conducive to overgrowth of yeast.

Some women respond to acidophilus (a supplement like you might find with vitamins and health foods). This helps alter the pH. It can be taken orally and it sounds like this is systemic for you so it might help. There are also some douches that can help with the vaginal yeast, though as a rule, we discourage douching because it can alter the normal pH. In this case, that is the goal. I can't actually prescribe but one such douche is this: 1/4 cup of 3% antiseptic hydrogen peroxide mixed in two cups of water. You can talk to your doctor about this for his/her opinion.

Since you have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and new allergies, it is certainly possible that your body is having some hypersensitivity to otherwise normal flora so perhaps there is a connection. This is not something that has been documented but we don't know everything.

Good luck.
 Marie55 - Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:46 pm

I have tried the acidophilus & have been taking it for over a year now.. And Ive tried the Boric acid, hydrogen peroxide, Garlic, Apple Cider Vinagar & dozons of other things.. They all seem to help but nothing kills it.. I have been taking a product called Oregnol 73 that has helped it alot but again, if I miss a day of taking its right back..

My pap test keeps coming back Severe Dysplasia but my biopsy came back normal, Could this infection be what their seeing ? And can a Doctor see signs of dysplasia while doing a Colposapy ?

Thanks so very much for your replys..
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:28 pm

User avatar It is possible to have both infection and the dysplasia but I would not expect the abnormal cells to be the result of the infection. I think you are experiencing two different conditions and I doubt infection is causing the results to be abnormal.

When abnormal cells are found in a pap smear, this is the result of a screening process; not a diagnostic one. In other words, there is something here worth investigating further. The colposcopy goes that next step to see if the cells are actually of concern. Many times this verifies that there is nothing to be alarmed about. But, the dysplasia was already diagnosed. The colposcopy will learn more beyond that so this should be the most revealing test. The normal biopsy is much more important than the abnormal cells seen on the pap smear.

You are doing a great job taking care of your health in spite of this very frustrating tendency you have to infection.

Best wishes.
 rsp21 - Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:13 am

Debbie, i have been reading the forums all night to find a resolution.
My girlfriend has been having burning problems, after orgasm, or after the vaginal canal has been stretched. Even after "Fingering her" burning persists... My girlfriend is afraid of having sex, and i am scared that theres something wrong with me..
 spartygirl12 - Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:12 pm

I am a 20 year old female whos only been sexually active for the last 2 years. I have been tested for STDs recently so that is ruled out as my tests came back negative. For the past year or so, I have had a constant burning sensation in my vagina. I have no discharge or funny odor whatsoever. I have mistaken it for a UTI several times however after taking all the antibiotics prescribed for a UTI the constant burning feeling is still there. The burning sensation isnt with urination so that rules out a UTI..sometimes it just randomly starts in the morning..or even in the afternoon..some days i don't feel it at all, other days its so unbearable i just put on loose pants and lay in bed until its gone, which usually lasts all day..

Some extra facts: I try to urinate before and after sex to cut down on bacteria but the burning feeling doesnt improve. I have seen multiple doctors and i have been treated for UTIs and my gyno also said that i had an inflammed cervix my last visit (a few weeks ago) and prescribed me antibiotics for bacteria vaginitis, however neither have cleared up the burning sensation. Could this have soemthing to do with my PH level?? Is there soemthing else going on?? What can i do to get rid of this constant burning?? i am miserable! Im only 20! i want to enjoy the rest of my life and i want to enjoy sex and feel good after sex not worry that i might feel like my vagina is burning...
 CkingAnwser - Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:06 pm

I just would like to continue the discussion about Chronic vaginal infection. I am seeking answer all over the internet. Thank you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us