Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Swollen foreskin and VERY itchy foreskin, Please advise

 brettb1985 - Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:59 am

Pretty weird question here.
But i think i may have a problem. I am 21year old Male. I don't often have sex with my girlfriend of 2 years as i only see her on weekends. We have both been tested for STD's and both have nothing.
But whenever we have sex, every time without a doubt, my foreskin seems to get swollen and go red. It doesn't hurt, but after its been swollen for a day or three, it starts to get itchy. I think i have a really sensitive foreskin. Just wondering what i can do. It affects me because i can only have sex once a week or so because its swollen for days or a week after. Please help

Are there operations for men my age or whatever to have their foreskin removed? or is that mainly in children(at birth)?

Any help would be appreciated
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:02 pm

User avatar Hi Brett,

Trauma from intercourse may be causing your symptoms. Also, if your foreskin is tight causing it to be stretched when retracted it could cause pain and swelling.

An infection with yeast could cause these symptoms but it would be very unusual to develop so quickly. I doubt an infection is related to the issue.

An allergy is possible; however, I would not expect this to be localized solely to the foreskin.

I would recommend you see a urologist for an evaluation. Circumcision can be done for adults, although it is much more commonly done on infants. Having persistent problems such as you are describing may be an indication for adult circumcision. The urologist will be able to discuss treatment options and circumcision with you in detail so you can make an informed decision.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us