Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Fertilization of an egg by an egg?

katie - Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:14 am

I have heard rumour that research is being carried out and has discovered that it is thoretically possible for an egg to be taken from one woman and fertilized by another egg taken from another woman in a similar way to standard IVF, but that the proceedure has not undergone human trials due to the morral/ethical implications.
I wonder if anyone can tell me wether this is in fact true and if so could point me in the direction of any research papers on this subject?
 littlediamond95 - Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:30 pm

I never heard of that sounds interesting... My thought is wouldnt it be almost like cloning? or like a variation of twins? as in 2 diffrent womwn having a child that looks similiar? would that happen I wonder? Hmmmmm interesting thoughts..
 katie - Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:57 am

It is interesting.......I don't think it would really be like cloning because you would still have two totally different sets of genetic information, the only certainty would be that any babies would always be female due to sperm carrying the genetic information nessesary to produce males. Like I said, I have very little information was just wondering if anyone else had every heard of it.