Forum Name: Fertility

Question: fertility help.. what is out there??

littlediamond95 - Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:13 pm

hi, :)
my husband and I have been trying to conseive for almost 11 months ( november 1st will be 12 months). I already set up an appointment with an OB/gyn dr for the end of september.. but soo I can be ready for the appt .. what i want to know is What kind of test can be done to find out why we are having trouble conceving.. and what we can do to help our selves conceive.. as in, what steps will my DR (might) take to help us....
and the other question I have.. My maternal grandmother had Ovarian cancer..... Can that affect me?
I know that My Dr is the one that can truly answer these questions.. i just want to know.. what infertility help is out there, and what tests are out there.. so I can prepare my self and ask my Dr about them..
Thank you :D
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:49 pm

User avatar Dear Cristy,

Infertility work-up usually starts by a physical examination for both the male and female. This is important to find out about anatomical abnormalities that might be present and prevent conception.

Then, a semen analysis is absolutely necessary.

If the semen analysis is normal, i think the next step is to find out whether the female is ovulating or not and there are several things to detect ovulation starting from taking your body temperature after menstruation (usually, the ovulating female has 0.5 degrees celsius higher in her temperature after ovulation) down to hormonal tests and ultrasounds and others.

After making sure that the female is ovulating, i think the next step is to make sure that the environment in which the sperms travel to reach the ovum is suitable.

Each of the steps can take a while because ultrasounds and blood tests are needed.

If it is decided that assisted conception is needed, there are several ways to do it, but i will leave explaining this to the pros.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.