Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: what else can cause inflamation?

 sop22 - Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:11 am

Hello, i am 22 yr old female, for the past almost year i have been having painful intercourse, which to me sounds like vaginismus, except the pain is only with intercourse and not examination or anything else.
However, since i have also had a discharge and some odour i went to the GU med clinic, everything was fine except i had alot of redness and internatl inflammation (i think she teste dthe cells for this) i have been trested with numerous antibiotics just in case it was what she called a non descript infection, but nothing helps. the only thing i havent had is a pap smear or more invasive tests. this is ruining my relationship. what else can cause inflamation except STIs or bacterial infections/yeast?
thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:05 pm

User avatar One condition that can have pain and inflammation is vulvodynia but the fact that you do not have this problem with pelvic exams and other activities would lead me away from this idea.

As you mentioned vaginismus, it is important to remember that not everyone will experience every symptom associated with a particular condition. So, it is possible you could have this. Some women with this only experience pain during sex, as you have described.

It would make sense that if you have inflammation as your doctor described, you might benefit from anti-inflammatory medications. I would continue with your gynecologist and/or alternative pain relieving therapies such as hypnotherapy, psychotherapy and/or physical therapy with a specialist in pelvic floor and sexual pain issues. You might even benefit from seeing a sex therapist. Ask your doctor for a referral to a reputable adjunctive health care provider.

At any rate, you should continue to seek help for this very complicated problem. It sounds like your doctor has tried to determine possible infections and irritants. Hopefully he/she will continue to work with you to find the actual cause.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us