Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: what else can cause inflamation?

sop22 - Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:11 am

Hello, i am 22 yr old female, for the past almost year i have been having painful intercourse, which to me sounds like vaginismus, except the pain is only with intercourse and not examination or anything else.
However, since i have also had a discharge and some odour i went to the GU med clinic, everything was fine except i had alot of redness and internatl inflammation (i think she teste dthe cells for this) i have been trested with numerous antibiotics just in case it was what she called a non descript infection, but nothing helps. the only thing i havent had is a pap smear or more invasive tests. this is ruining my relationship. what else can cause inflamation except STIs or bacterial infections/yeast?
thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:05 pm

User avatar One condition that can have pain and inflammation is vulvodynia but the fact that you do not have this problem with pelvic exams and other activities would lead me away from this idea.

As you mentioned vaginismus, it is important to remember that not everyone will experience every symptom associated with a particular condition. So, it is possible you could have this. Some women with this only experience pain during sex, as you have described.

It would make sense that if you have inflammation as your doctor described, you might benefit from anti-inflammatory medications. I would continue with your gynecologist and/or alternative pain relieving therapies such as hypnotherapy, psychotherapy and/or physical therapy with a specialist in pelvic floor and sexual pain issues. You might even benefit from seeing a sex therapist. Ask your doctor for a referral to a reputable adjunctive health care provider.

At any rate, you should continue to seek help for this very complicated problem. It sounds like your doctor has tried to determine possible infections and irritants. Hopefully he/she will continue to work with you to find the actual cause.

Best wishes