Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Cut on Penis

 lynnhopes - Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:06 pm

My boyfriend is a 31 year old uncircumcised male. His health is brilliant; he rarely gets sick or catches cold. He is on no medications at present.

In July he and I spent a week apart. After which we went on a trip away together. We had pretty passionate sex and the next day he noticed a cut on his penis just underneath his foreskin. We had to abstain and after about a week it healed.

It has reoccurred since then. It just appears and it's like sex reopens the wound. Then it is sore when he pulls back his foreskin and he can't have sex. The only thing that makes it go away is abstinence. We use condoms as our contraception.

What could this possibly be? Could it be herpes? He says he has looked on the net and it appears to be a cut frenulum. He won't go to the doctor despite my nagging :).
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:09 pm

User avatar Hi Lynnhopes,

From this description it doesn't sound like herpes. Herpes generally causes a blister-like sore.

It may be that the sore simply isn't having enough time to fully heal so that it is being reopened from the friction of intercourse. He may want to try giving it a longer period of time before having intercourse to let it heal better, perhaps 2-3 weeks.

If it persists, he should have it evaluated.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us