Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Varicocele?


 graz1 - Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm a 20 year old presumably healthy male. My problem is as follows:
After long periods of arousal (approx. 4 hours of fairly constant stimulation) I feel a pain coming from my scrotum, and though the pain spreads throughout the sack and into the abdomen I believe it to be centered above the right testicle. I can feel an unusual swelling in the tubes and also slightly see slight bumps through the skin above the testicle - I believed that this was a varicocele (though it was located above the right testicle). I went in to the doctor and was informed that nothing felt odd and that occasional testicle pain is considered normal. I'm still very concerned because it hurts and just feels so strange. The tubes are free-floating rather then attached to the back of the testicle so I don't believe it to be epedidimitis - What could it be? What can I do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:53 pm

User avatar Hi Graz1,

Your description does seem to fit a varicocele. About 20% of adult men will have a varicocele. In 90% of cases it is on the left. This still leaves 10% on the right.

If you are noticing this "tube" feeling more when standing or when bearing down than you do when you are lying flat this would be very consistent with a varicocele.

You may want to see a urologist for further evaluation of this.

Best wishes.
 graz1 - Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:23 am

Dr. Chan Lowe, Thank you for your response. This "sack of worms" only appears after long periods of arousal and disappears after some sleep or a long period of laying down.

Does a varicocele require any medical treatment? is it something that will eventually go away?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:42 pm

User avatar Varicoceles do not necessarily require treatment. In most men they are asymptomatic. They are associated with infertility and are the most common correctable cause of infertility. However, most men with varicoceles are not infertile.

If it is a varicocele it is unlikely to resolve on its own.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us