Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Vesectomys

darrells_rose - Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 pm

I was wanting to know what the percentage rate is that a vesectomy can grow back? My fiance had one about 9 years ago and I told him that my cousin's grew back after 7 years. Is it possible?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:59 pm

User avatar Hi Darrells_rose,

I've heard of vasectomies failing to be effective and never really stopping the release of sperm; however, I've never seen reports of a vasectomy that was previously successful subsequently regrowing.

I think this is very unlikely to occur. This isn't my specialty so I can't say with 100% certainty but I'm confident about this one.

Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:40 pm

User avatar Vasectomy has a failure rate of about between 0.5% and 1% - similar to some other methods of contraception. Also, the man is not necessarily sterile immediately after the procedure so follow up with the doctor is recommended with back up birth control being used in the meantime.

In almost all cases, any "growing back" (recanalization) occurs within the first few months. If he has two consecutive negative sperm checks, and several months or more have passed, you should be quite safe.

Best wishes