Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Understanding semen test results

afmommy - Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:40 pm

age 37
male
No past diagnosis
Previous spinal surgery
Mother has lupus, no other family history
No current medication.

We are trying to understand my husband's results from his semen analysis. The physician that ordered the test is a military flight doctor who could not answer any of our questions nor tell us what we should do at this point. Normal range in paranthesis.

Semen color - opaque
viscosity - increased
volume 3.0 mL (1.5-5.0)
semen, ph 8.0 (7.0-7.6)
init % motility 50 % (60-100)
2 hr motility 30% (60-70)
sperm count - test not performed
Unable to perform testing/specimen did not liquify within 4 hours
stained morph 85% (70-100)

We have been trying to get pregnant for almost a year now. My questions are?

What does the comment on liquifying mean and could this affect the motility?
I know for low sperm counts there are standard suggestions physicians make, I couldn't find anything on motility though. Are there ways to increase your motility?
How difficult would this make getting pregnant? Is it still possible?
What is the next step? Should we have the test re-run? What type of specialist should we ask the flight doctor to refer us to?
By the way, does the laying on your back with your feet in the air thing really help?

Can my OB help with this because the flight doctor is really over worked and unlikely to take the time to answer our questions or do anything to help us since it doesn't affect my husband's ability to fly. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:16 pm

User avatar Yes, your OB could most likely help you to understand the results and definitely would be more qualified than I am. I do know that a longer liquefying time could indicate infection. Initial motility does not look too bad at 50% with normal at 60% but of course it can make a difference to fertility anyway. Without a sperm count, it would be difficult to even guess here.

By way of information, it is considered normal for it to take a year for a young, sexually active, fertile woman to become pregnant, even if all factors are present and favorable. There is a certain element of luck involved as the sperm must travel to the right place, at the right time, be strong enough to penetrate and fertilize the egg, then the ovum must be able to implant into a favorably prepared uterus. When you think about it, it's nothing short of a miracle that so many people do get pregnant quite easily.

Good luck in your efforts.