Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Chances of Pregnancy

Anonymous989 - Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:07 pm

I know these types of questions are very difficult to answer, and don't usually have 100% valid answers, but here it goes. I'm an 18 year old male, and recently had sex with a girl using a condom. After ejaculation, I removed the condom, and about a half hour later we were 'playing around' again. At one point my penis was inserted into her vagina again without a condom, but was immediately taken out after, with no penetration and without ejaculating again. I know sperm cells don't die for several days, so I am somewhat worried what this could do. Is there a chance that this could cause pregnancy, and if so are the chances high? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:20 pm

User avatar Any time you have penetration (assuming both you and the girl are fertile) there is the possibility of pregnancy. How high the likelihood? I would say not very based on what you have shared, but if it happened to be at the time she was ovulating or near that time and there was sperm present (in pre-ejaculate) it could happen. So, the planets would need to align, but it is not likely.

If she were to become pregnant from this encounter, it would be quite unusual and unexpected. But, half of all pregnancies in the USA are unplanned for one reason or another so we can't be completely sure.

Your girlfriend may want to consider a second form of birth control such as the pill to safeguard against such a risk in the future. Condoms are somewhat protective against disease so this is a good choice as primary contraception.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us