Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Provera

kentuckygirl_028 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:25 am

I am a 29 year old female. I have been diagnosed with PCOS and I am trying to get pregnent. My Dr. sugested fertility pills but wants to get my cycle regulated first. I have never had a normal cycle, sometimes i go for 2 to 3 month and do not have one at all and sometimes i have 2 or 3 in one month. My dr. gave me provera to regulate my cycle and told me to start it on Oct. 1st if i did not start my regular cycle, but it was on time for once, the only problem is that i have not stoped and i don't know what i should do about taking the pills on the first of next month.
Should i take them when it comes time or skip them because i have had such a long cycle this time. Should i take the pills to make me stop or just let it run its course. Im confused please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:23 pm

User avatar I would refer you to your prescribing doctor but I would expect that you should take them just on the schedule prescribed without adjusting for the circumstances unless the doctor tells you otherwise.

Good luck in your efforts at pregnancy. May I also suggest that you take a good daily multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg folate or folic acid. This has been shown to prevent birth defects when it is on board early in the pregnancy (from time of conception on). All women of childbearing age should be doing this but especially if you are preparing your body for a planned pregnancy.