Forum Name: Fertility

Question: curette and endometriosis

baileykbr - Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:56 pm

On the 26th July I had a dilation and curettage procedure as I had missed miscarried. For a few months I was very irregular - having my period every 10-14 days. The last 6-8 weeks have shown my body to have settled down a bit but I am spotting between my periods now. I am due for my menstural cycle in about 5 days, and I have been spotting now for about 6 days. About 6-8 weeks ago I had a pelvic ultrasound to see if there was any foetal tissue left behind after the procedure but the results came back normal. I'm concerned about endometriosis...If I have endometriosis would that have shown up in the pelvic ultrasound I had? I am very keen to start trying for a baby again. What could be wrong? Or is it still my hormones settling down after being pregnant and going through such a procedure. I am 22 years old, and this was my first pregnancy. I am not on any medications, and the currette was the first operation I have ever had.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:09 am

User avatar I suspect you are right about this just being your body settling. It can take a few months.

Endometriosis can be quite tricky to diagnose and while the ultrasound could help to rule out other pelvic conditions and possibly suggest endometriosis, it is not diagnostically reliable alone. Laparascopic surgery is the only really good tool for diagnosis.

If you plan to conceive soon, the best thing to do is to embark on a course of regular sexual intercourse and taking care of yourself physically. Take a multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg folate or folic acid NOW because it does the most good to prevent birth defects when it is in adequate quantity from conception onward. If this natural course doesn't result in pregnancy within the year you may want to inquire further in case there is endometriosis that might be interfering. But, lots of women conceive spontaneously in spite of endometriosis.

baileykbr - Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:36 am

Thank you for your response. I really do hope that it is just my hormones settling down. I've just got another couple of queries. While they are settling down, does it mean that I am still ovulating? Is it safe to concieve while my body is still adjusting? I just don't want to go through another miscarriage if I can avoid it, and if that means I have to wait then I'll wait.

Also, this spotting is giving me very faint cramps...like menstural cramps, but they are very dull. Is that a normal symptom of spotting and my condition?

Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:01 pm

User avatar Most of the time spotting of this nature is normal and need not have attention unless it goes on for several cycles - in that case it could be a sign of a cervical inflammation and might require antibiotic treatment. As for pregnancy concerns, even if this is hormonal it is not something that would make me worry about increasing your risk of miscarriage.

In most women miscarriage is a single event, thought to be caused by a chromosomal abnormality that triggers it because the baby is not forming properly. It is totally random in most cases and chances are the next pregnancy will be fine. In a woman with a second or third miscarriage, it is more likely to be caused by some identifiable problem (perhaps 50% of cases) and there is some chance of being able to intervene hormonally. But, even then, half the cases will have no recognizable cause.

If your body is still adjusting hormonally but you are ovulating, it may not be clear just when it occurs, but it should not be a problem if you do conceive. If your progesterone levels are inadequate, that may be a factor in some miscarriages but it has not been proven that intervention helps.

In essence, it is impossible to prevent a miscarriage in most cases. The best we can hope for is some reduction of risk by making sure the body is in good physical health, eating right, taking a multiple vitamin, avoiding drugs, alcohol and tobacco. In the case of repeat miscarriages, an OB/GYN may be able to determine some factor that is causing it, thereby opening a door to possible treatment options.

For you, chances are that this was a random event. Good luck.
 baileykbr - Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:38 pm

Thank you for your help. My doctor hasn't been very helpful to me, she just keeps saying its strange (maybe it's time to change doctors), so thank you for clarifying a few things. After the curettage I was told that I would have a proper cycle after 4 weeks and everything wuld be back to normal (no one mentioned to me that there will be hormonal changes) and I could start trying again so I have been confused as to why 3 months later my body is still playing up a bit.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:51 pm

User avatar You are welcome.