Question: Penis Swelling

jbsmith - Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:29 am

I am a white male 35 years of age. I have been in a committed relationship for the past 7 months. A couple of days ago I felt an uncomfortable pain in the genital area. On the second day I looked and just below the head of my penis on the shaft, I had some redness and a small cluster of pimples or blisters. I had soaked in the bath tub earlier and after noticing the small cluster I applied some Neosporin cream. Within the next day the small cluster was gone, however it seems the left side of my penis under my head is swollen.

Now, I am circumsized and I have a yearly physical each year and my most recent was in Dec of 06. I have always had myself tested for HIV and Herpes and have never had an issue.

My girlfriend and I have a lot of sex. Usually 2-3 times a day 5 out of 7 days a week. She is a nurse and has not had any weird symptoms.

I have not had any buring, itching, pain in urinating. The small bumps are gone after a couple of days, but I can't understand the swelling on the left side, just under where the head and the shaft of the penis meets. Any thoughts?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:27 pm

User avatar Hi Jbsmith,

It may be that you had a skin infection (non-STD) with either a bacteria or a fungus. It may also have been simply a contact irritation causing the bumps.

If it was an infection it may have spread into the surrounding area some causing the swelling you are noticing. If there is no pain and the redness is gone it is unlikely that the infection is continuing but it may take a few days for the swelling to resolve. If it persists I would suggest you see your doctor to be sure everything is OK.

PleaseRead - Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:21 am

hi about a week go i was about to take a shower and noticed a red bump on my penis and it looked like a pimple. it was bumpy and red i popped it and puss came out so i figured it was a pimple but for the past few days its still been there and everytime i touch it puss still comes out. im trying to figure what it is and why wont it go away. im wondering what it can come from because i havent had sex so cant be taht and what can i do so it can go away