Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Sex on the last day of menstruation

angelicmckayla - Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi. I am a female of just about 20. I went out this weekend with a guy friend to celebrate my birthday. We both got a little tipsy and we ended up having sex. I always make my partners wear a condom, and he did, but upon ejaculation, the condom broke real bad. Now, this occurred on the last day of my menstruation (my cycle is rather light) and I took my first Birth Control Pill (Tricyclen) of the month today. Should I get to the drugstore and pick up Plan B? Or am I okay? I have been on the pill for 2 something years. Please let me know ASAP because I only have another 54ish hours before Plan B will not be an option. Thanks in advance.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:09 am

User avatar In most women we would not expect you to be fertile until about day 8 when you count from the first day of your period, regardless of how long it lasts or how light it was. If your periods are pretty regular and of average spacing (26-32 day cycles), you can feel pretty safe, though never 100% sure (even with birth control, some pregnancies do occur). So, it would seem you were still in the "safe" time frame.

Good luck.
 angelicmckayla - Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:12 am

Thank you. I was pretty sure, since obviously I've shed the most recent egg, that I was okay, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm still not clear on how the BCP works and when I can get away with no condom (not that I usually do, just in cases like afore stated). I believe I have done it before where it was the last day of my period but I can't remember. It was with an exclusive boyfriend at the time. Now I'm just casually seeing the guy from the previous question.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:47 pm

User avatar Hi,
Birth control pills work in several ways, the primary being suppression of ovulation so there is no egg shed during the month. The hormones are manipulated so you still shed the unneeded endometrial lining.

As for using a condom - it should not be necessary at any time for pregnancy prevention if you are taking the pills regularly, not missing days, etc. But, there are other reasons for using one since it can decrease your risk of getting a sexually transmitted infection. In casual relationships this is especially important.

However, if you want to try to reduce the 1-2% risk of pregnancy that comes with oral contraceptive methods, you could be diligent about using a back up method such as a condom, particularly on cycle days 8 through 19. Start counting on the first day of your period to determine when that is. This is based on a typical 26 to 32 day cycle.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us