Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Correction For Dilated Veins In the Scortum

scerab - Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:42 am

I have been recently diagnosed with Varicocele (dilated veins in the scortum) and my doctor suggested that I do an operation (surgical bilateral varicocele), especially that we found out after semen analysis that my sperm count is relatively low (a sub fertility state the doctor called it).
I don’t like surgeries very much so I am a bit worried and scared about this, I would appreciate any advice on this topic especially from people who have underwent such a procedure.
Thanks in advance
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:31 am

User avatar Hi Scerab,

There are a few things you may want to talk with your doctor about. If you are not interested in having children it may not be necessary to correct your varicoceles.

If you decide to have the surgery it is generally done laparoscopically (with a camera and small incisions rather than one large incision). The procedure is very similar to having a hernia repaired. It will probably take you several days to get back up and going but recovery times from laparoscopically done surgeries are much shorter than the open type surgeries.

It isn't a particularly complicated procedure; however, it is a surgery so the risks of anesthesia, etc. still apply. Your doctor can give you all the risks/benefits regarding this so you can make an informed decision.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us