Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Diagnosed with PCOS

baileykbr - Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:50 pm

I had blood test done on the weekend to test my hormones, as I am trying to concieve. I had a miscarriage and D&C in July, then bled on and off for a few months (my periods would come every couple of weeks). I then had one regular 29 day cycle, and since have not had another one (I'm about 50 days in now). The tests came back and the doctor told me the results over the phone, it was very medical and didn't help much. She said my ratio of hormones that regulate ovulation is about 2.5 to 1, meaning it is high, and this is consistant with PCOS, so I'm guessing that the male hormone in my body is higher than normal. My cholesterol and estrogen are fine, and I am a very healthy weight, BMI of about 18.7, no excess hair growth, baldness or other symptoms of PCOS. She said my progesterone levels are low so I haven't ovulated in this cycle yet, is that true? Does all mean that I actually have PCOS? Or could it be something else? I've heard that Vitex is good for balancing out hormones, does this work for PCOS? Is there a way to manage this so that it isn't as hard for me to concieve again?

Any help would me much appreciated. Thank you very much for your time, and what you do for the people on this site.

I'm 22 years old, female, not on any medications (I went off the Pill in med february this year), surgery: D&C July 26. No real family histories of illnesses.
 baileykbr - Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:03 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add that my liver, kidneys and all that were tested too and they are all fine. It just seems that the hormone level is high.

Thank you very much
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Not all women have the same symptoms even though they have PCOS. But, it can interfere with conception. I do question your healthy weight however. A BMI of 18.7 is actually just barely underweight. This is not typical of PCOS but it can also contribute to amenorrhea (absence of periods). If your body perceives inadequate fat stores to support a pregnancy, it naturally suppresses ovulation. It might be helpful for you to gain weight in your efforts to conceive. This doesn't mean lots; but maybe 5 or 10 pounds would help.

You are right about the hormones. The cysts make male hormones, which prevent ovulation. You would also be lacking in progesterone which results in the absence of periods.

There are treatments available to manage the syndrome; not to cure it. Glucophage or Metformin is often used to regulate insulin, lowering the production of testosterone. This is not its intended use but it is often successful and women with PCOS frequently become pregnant with just this intervention. There are other medications such as anti-androgens and birth control pills but these are not desired when you want to conceive. Other treatments include a surgical procedure, eating a healthy, low-sugar diet for glucose control, and fertility medications to stimulate ovulation. The latter comes with side effects, one of the most common being multiple births with the related risks.

Stay in touch with your doctor for the treatment that is best for you.

baileykbr - Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:28 pm

Wow, thank you very much for your lightening reply! My doctor said to wait 6-8 months, and if I don't get pregnant, then I should seek treatment for it. Is this necessary? Shouldn't I get treated for it as soon as I'm diagnosed, because surely it's not good for your body.

Thank you again
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:36 pm

User avatar I can't really say when the best time to begin treatment would be. Since many women do conceive spontaneously even with PCOS and in light of the fact you do not have a severe case with obvious ill effects in other aspects, your doctor may feel you have a good chance of things working naturally.

Discuss it with your doctor to try and determine her reasoning. I expect she has a good plan.

Best of luck.