Forum Name: Fertility

Question: BV and Pelvic Pain

clfrank2002 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:05 am

I am 28 years old and never been pregnant. I have been trying now for the past 11 months with no success. I've had almost constant bacterial vaginosis for the past 4 years. It goes and comes but it never really goes away. Does that affect fertility?

The other thing is that I had my pap smear last week and it was extremely painfull. It alwyas hurts, but this time it was extreme and I was in severe pain the next day. My doctor said that I was tense and there was some inflamation so he prescribed celebrex and a muscle relaxer. I've had that treatment before and it didnt help one bit. Does inflamation affect fertilty?

On top of the painful pap smear, I'm in almost constant pain on the left side of my vagina. It feels like something is inside trying to pushout, especially at the beginning of intercourse but my Dr acts like its nothing.I told my Dr., but he seems to think it's the inflamation. My periods are pretty regular so I don't think its PCOS. Where is the pain coming from? Please help!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:46 am

There is the possibility of endometriosis and this is not usually something your doctor can detect with routine pap smears and exams. Your symptoms could be consistent with this condition. Women with endometriosis experience pain differently because it all depends on where the implants occur. Infertility is also a common effect from this. I should mention though that it is considered normal for it to take a year or more to become pregnant even in ideal circumstances. But, because you have pain, it might be worth checking out to see if there is an underlying cause to your inability to become pregnant.

Inflammation has been implicated in infertility in some studies so the bacterial vaginosis may be contributing to your problem. If you are not comfortable with the level of care you are receiving you can request a second opinion and see a gynecologist.