Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: BV and Pelvic Pain

clfrank2002 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:05 am

I am 28 years old and never been pregnant. I have been trying now for the past 11 months with no success. I've had almost constant bacterial vaginosis for the past 4 years. It goes and comes but it never really goes away. Does that affect fertility?

The other thing is that I had my pap smear last week and it was extremely painfull. It alwyas hurts, but this time it was extreme and I was in severe pain the next day. My doctor said that I was tense and there was some inflamation so he prescribed celebrex and a muscle relaxer. I've had that treatment before and it didnt help one bit. Does inflamation affect fertilty?

On top of the painful pap smear, I'm in almost constant pain on the left side of my vagina. It feels like something is inside trying to pushout, especially at the beginning of intercourse but my Dr acts like its nothing.I told my Dr., but he seems to think it's the inflamation. My periods are pretty regular so I don't think its PCOS. Where is the pain coming from? Please help!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:46 am

User avatar Hello,
There is the possibility of endometriosis and this is not usually something your doctor can detect with routine pap smears and exams. Your symptoms could be consistent with this condition. Women with endometriosis experience pain differently because it all depends on where the implants occur. Infertility is also a common effect from this. I should mention though that it is considered normal for it to take a year or more to become pregnant even in ideal circumstances. But, because you have pain, it might be worth checking out to see if there is an underlying cause to your inability to become pregnant.

Inflammation has been implicated in infertility in some studies so the bacterial vaginosis may be contributing to your problem. If you are not comfortable with the level of care you are receiving you can request a second opinion and see a gynecologist.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us