Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Should I take emergency contraceptives? Help needed quickly!

goodmorningh - Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:36 pm

I am a healthy 21 year old woman who had unplanned unprotected sex with my boyfriend on the day after the last day of my period (Day 6, no bleeding), but as I was a virgin at the time for religious reasons, I felt uncomfortable and he withdrew and almost immediately ejaculated outside. Is it possible to become pregnant from precum alone at this time (specifically, day 6 of my period)? Are you fertile during and immediately after your period or can sperm live long enough to impregnant the egg during ovulation?

I have a normal 28 day cycle, and my period usually lasts 5 to 6 days. Around two weeks into the cycle, I experience some cramping which I always assumed to be ovulation. Am I at risk for pregnancy and should I consider emergency contraception? Which is the best?

Are there any pregnancy tests that are more effective than urine tests? I can't take a blood test or get a prescription because I don't have my own health insurance and my parents would be furious if they knew. Can I get Plan B without a prescription?

I normally wouldn't consider this option, but my boyfriend and I had never had sex before, didn't mean to and are in no position to have a baby. I also know how irresponsible it is to ignore health risks by having unprotected sex, but I'm very confused and upset and ashamed with myself and could really use some advice and answers.

Rest assured, I won't be making the same mistake again.

Thanks very much.

Katie

PS: Due to my religious beliefs I can't and don't want to have an abortion, so I need to deal with this issue now.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:10 am

User avatar Hi Katie,

It would be very unlikely that you would be pregnant from sex on that 6th day or your cycle, considering your usual, regular menstrual pattern. If you were using a rhythm method of birth control, this would be considered one of the "safe" days even with ejaculation inside your vagina. But, that said, there is always a remote chance because ovulation is not completely predictable. Sperm can live up to five days in the woman's body so five days prior to ovulation would be the beginning of what we might call the fertile period. We usually consider days 8 through 19 to be the time to avoid intercourse or use alternate methods beyond strictly natural family planning or "rhythm". This is why day 6 would be definitely outside the range where it might be expected. Add to that the fact you are only dealing with pre-cum and I'd say you're probably safe.

As for Plan B - not all pharmacies carry it but it should be available without a prescription for women over age 18. If you choose to take this, keep in mind there are side effects from the high dose of hormones and it can affect your regular cycles for a few months. It is also fairly expensive. But, it would offer the most sure solution if you do not feel comfortable that you are "safe."

Good luck. Don't be too hard on yourself. You sound like a very responsible young woman who did get swept up in the emotions and passions. These are normal feelings and we all make mistakes - things we regret later. I'm sure your religious beliefs also account for repenting from mistakes and starting over.

Best wishes for you.
 souljaX - Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:18 pm

hi,
i just have some questions and i badly needed some answers.....
i am 24 years old,for nine months i was taking a pills judt to make sure i wont get pregnant...but then when my boyfriend left i stop taking it for almost 4 months and then suddenly he came back and be with me again.....we make love and he puts his sperm inside .....the thing is i don't have my period yet here for this month...now i was worried that i will be get pregnant of what had happened...the next day i take again my pills coz i was scared to get pregnant but still i wasnt sure if it works or help me not to get pregnant.....pls answer my questions.....is there a possibility that i will be pregnant coz of that?