Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Very irregular cycle

agobeil - Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:22 pm

Hello.
I'm hoping you can help me.
In July I had a very short period (2 days) where it was very dark and abnormal.
August, I got my period on schedule from the 8th through the 13th. It was normal.
I did not get my period at all in September. I attributed it to stress since I had just become engaged, school was starting up again, and I had started a new job.
I did finally get my period in the middle October, although I can't tell you the exact days.
I have not had my period since. Nothing in November, and we are now halfway through December. Needless to say, I'm freaking out. Pregnancy tests are all negative.

I don't know if this is related at all, but since August I have had crazy acne--unlike anything I have ever had before. I've never had a problem with acne before, so it seems extremely odd.

On the months I've missed my period, including this month, I feel faint cramping and nothing else. It just never comes!

My mother has a history of ovarian cysts and endometriosis. I'm scared that something like this could be happening to me. I find it odd that the weirdness seems to occur every other month...maybe one of my ovaries is dying? Perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I hope you can give me some insight. My doctor is booked through this month and can only schedule me in January. Meanwhile, I'm clueless as to what is going on in my body. I do not feel stressed, I'm not pregnant...I don't know what else it could be.

Thank you for any insight you may have. I realize I need to go to a doctor to get an accurate diagnosis.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
There is a chance it it just stress. It is also possible you are not ovulating every month and your hormones are fluctuation. This can be normal. The family history and the acne suggest possible polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). I would schedule the appointment for next month but it is not critical so waiting for the available date would be fine.

Best wishes and congratulations on the engagement.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us