Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Infertile male - Should i take testostrone pills?

 mrcraigmack - Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:25 am

im a 19 yr old black male who have been trying to get my wife pregnant for atleast a year and still no go. i use to masterbate everyday 2-3 time since i was 14 and smoked alot of pot every day for about 3 yrs now. i stoppped all that for 3 months cause i thought that was the reason why and still no go. Should i get a sperm scheck or what ever it is called or just try more. Should i take testostrome pills to boost me up cause i think it is cause of that. i barely have facial hair cause of lack of testostrome right could that also be from too much masterbation. well looking forward to an response . thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
I can assure you that the history of masturbation has not caused you to have a decrease of testosterone. If you have a hormonal problem, it would not be caused by that activity. I would not recommend anything you can buy over the counter to boost testosterone as I know of nothing available that truly is reliable. You must see a doctor to assess the need for hormones. You could see either a urologist or endocrinologist for that.

Drugs, alcohol and tobacco use may decrease a man's fertility so stopping these habits may help and it could take a little time for the effects to be reduced to non-use levels.

There are many causes of infertility so you may need to see a fertility specialist if your semen analysis is in the normal range but that would be a very good place to begin.

Good luck in this endeavor.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us