Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Pain During Sex

 PresleyC5 - Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:23 am

I am a 19 year old female with severe endometriosis. I have always had severe pain during sex. My doctor said my pain was due solely due to my endometriosis and it would go away shortly after surgery. It has now been 9 months since my surgery and I still have the severe pain. It is not only a deep pain but around myvulva as well. Also, my partner and I have been trying to get pregnant for 4 months and have failed. Could this have something to do with my afore mentioned problem? Please Help!
-P.C. :x :cry:
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:43 am

User avatar Dear Presley,

Endometriosis is a major cause of infertility, so you will have to discuss this with your doctor and since you have a history of surgical interference, most probably, this could end-up in needing to have more surgeries in order to get pregnant. Even though, you have a clear cause of infertility, the workup will most probably conducted as usual, making sure that your partner does not have any problems, and that you don't have any other problems that could result in infertlity as well.

Regarding pain in the vulva during sex, you should be examined by your doctor to look for local causes like infected or inflammed cysts or others. You could have trauma and other causes. Endometriosis can sometime be occur in the vulva as well.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us