Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Sexual anxiety

trouthunter - Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:01 am

My wife had a miscarrariage about one week ago. Her medical symptoms stopped a few days ago. Last night we tried to have sex, she was excited and happy to participate. Everything was fine until she suddenly had a flashback and feelings of extremem panick overtook her. The operation at the hospital was VERY traumatic for her, she hates hospitals, needles, etc. So, I want to know how long we should wait before we try again,and when do we know we need to seek outside help? I know that one week hasn't been long since the miscarriage, I just want to know how to know when we need additional help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:42 pm

User avatar Hello,
Miscarriage is a very traumatic event, often not recognized as such. Different people respond differently to the whole thing - emotional, sense of loss, physical trauma, pain, etc. Some women experience anxiety for a long time afterward, others anxiously continue trying to become pregnant very soon. There is no way to say a particular time frame here. If you wife could benefit from counseling, it might be good to schedule an appointment with a therapist, skilled at helping people deal with loss and trauma. Meanwhile, being kind, considerate, affectionate and caring, as I'm sure you are, will go a long way towards healing and her feeling ready to try again. Patience is the order of the day.

Good luck and please express my condolences to your wife too. I am confident you will experience a positive outcome soon.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us