Question: Problem getting hard for sex fine on my own

name20 - Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:04 am

I am 20yrs old, i have been having problems trying to have sex for 4 or 5 years now. It has ruined relationships, and going out to meet new people, my current gf does know and understands. And to be on the safe side to satisfy her needs i told my doctor and he gave me a few samples of Viagra. They worked great.

What i would like to know is what if i still have this problem again? My gf is long distance and i used these samples when i saw her. I don't want to be having to go, hey sorry hun you know me gotta pop the blue one or this show will get axed, i want to be spontaneous and able to have sex when and were ever without having to get worried that i may not perform. Until i had the blue tablet all my sexual encounters have been flops, but i'm fine when i'm on my own thought, the other day i couldn't stay soft it was rather frustrating.

I was thinking of having hypnotherapy to see if taking the feeling from the other day and applying it to all my sexual encounters. Or if there are other solutions. I want to kow your thoughts because this issue has gone on long enough and i don't want to go back to it, my gf and i have not had sex again since then and i feel that some of the time we were together was me not the blue pill, i don't know how long it lasts for but i think 8 or 9 hours it would have worn off by then.

if you can offer some advice that would be great
cheers
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:33 pm

User avatar Hi Name20,

I suspect that your difficulties may actually be psychological (not that I think you are crazy). Physically, it appears that your sexual response is intact since you are able to maintain an erection. The brain is very powerful, so if there is some stress or concern over the issue it can be enough to keep you from maintaining an erection. The Viagra likely would overcome this problem.

It may be that your mind is so concerned and stressed about the possibility of not being able to maintain an erection that it ends up becoming a self-fulfilling thought. The stress from a previous past difficulty can easily become a focal point that ends up causing repeated difficulties.

You may want to discuss this with a psychologist (or other professionally trained counselor) who can help identify any of these issues that may be going on. Often, once these are identified they can be addressed and the issue resolves.

Dazz12345 - Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:39 am

Hi. I am 21 and am currently having the same problem..My doctor gave me a coarse of medication to ease my mind of stress, etc but It still has not worked..I still have the same problem and its affecting my relationship..Any help would be greatly appreciated as the my family doctor cannot really help me
 Dazz12345 - Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:34 am

Hi. I am 21 and have the same problem. My doctor has given me medication to try take my mind of the topic, like a mild anti stress pill. This has not helped either. I don't know what to do, it is breaking my relationship. Please any help would be appreciated.