Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: penis problems

 askill_jon - Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:04 am

I am 23 years old and still a virgin, this is because of various problems that I have with my penis. I have known about these problems for a long time, but have not really taken control. I have seen a doctor on two previous occasions, but didn’t get a result – probably out of my lack of communication – hence this letter to you.
1. Until the age of about 14, I didn’t know that I could and should be able to completely retract my foreskin, and when I did my penis felt extremely tender and sharply painful to touch – but it didn’t hurt when the foreskin was covering it. My foreskin was also tight, so I went to see a doctor about that, and he said it was fine and just needed to be ‘stretched’ or loosened by me in the bath etc, and that my penis would also desensitise if I kept handling it. I could not handle it as he suggested because it hurts – it cant even touch clothing material without the foreskin covering it, again because of the sharp pain. On the second review of this appointment a month later, the doctor seemed baffled.
2. I didn’t do anything for two years, and nearly lost my virginity, only to find that my foreskin definitely wasn’t going to retract when erect. When erect, there is a clear ‘tight’ band that restricts me from retracting it.
3. It hurts particularly in one area of the head of my penis when I ejaculate. (South-west top region).
4. My penis seems to bend to the right when erect – although this could be the tight foreskin or just a natural thing?
5. I have been told that the white puss filled pimples on the foreskin are natural hair follicles, but mine are very noticeable and three have grown and burst before – at different times. The latest one was about a month ago and was what prompted this letter – it was the largest spot I’d had – about 5mm in diameter.
So my questions are;
a. Why is the skin on my penis so tender and painful to touch and as a result very hard to clean?
b. Why does it hurt in a certain area when I ejaculate?
c. If I had a circumcision, would it wipe out the ‘tender’ problem and the other problems as well as curing the tightness problem? I don’t want to have a circumcision if the other problems remained – because it would be unbearably painful.
d. Is circumcision avoidable?
e. Should I see a specialist? And what would be the title of this specialist?
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:49 pm

User avatar Hi!

A tight foreskin could be your problem, but a proper clinical examination should be done. Since small cysts ('pimples') seem to be affecting your penile skin, such hidden cysts could be cause for the pain, but proper examination alone may tell. Circumcision is usually done for tight foreskins, and usually ends the problem. The procedure of circumcision per se is not unbearably painful, since it's done under anesthesia. But if you worry regarding a sensitive glans being unbearably painful, know that millions of males are circumcized and have overcome the sensitivity. A specialist that you may consult should be a urologist.

Hope this helps.

 berthea - Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:25 pm

I also have a similar problem to that in the previous post. I do not have puss, or pimples on the penis but I do have the same discomfort and pain. I have tried the creams, anesthetics, and seen some of the best urologists in the country. I am uncircumcised, and it's almost like the glans are "sun burned." It hurts when there is any friction or irritation. When erect, it tilts to the left. this could be natural. The shaft is tight when erect, but the pain is from the glans. I have not had sex before because of this reason. When the surface is rubbed, it hurts. I wanted to have a circumcision but the urologists said that the resulting exposure of the glans won't necessarily assuage the pain and discomfort.

This problem seems to be very common.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us