Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Chance of pregnancy with high sperm count but low morphology

zoey43 - Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:41 am

Hi! My husband and I are trying to have a baby so we had a sperm analysis done(Krueger Strict.) The results were as follows: the volume was 4.5cc, total count was 195.3 million, the motility was 72% and the Kruger morphology was only 4% and the WHO morphology was 27%. I know the morphology is low but will my husband's high sperm count and motility help even out the low morphology? I figured with that low of a morphology out of the 195.3 million sperm 7.8 million are of good quality. Is that enough to get pregnant naturally? We have only been trying to get pregnant for 2 months. He was told to take 1000 mg of vitamin C, 400 IU of Vitamin E and a multi vitamin. We will do another sperm analysis almost 3 weeks after the last one. Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:00 pm

Motility can vary widely even within the same man so this alone does not mean a lot. This is a good reason to have a second analysis done. It is helpful in connection with the other studies and yes, antioxidants such as vitamin C and E have been shown to help this condition. Eating lots of colorful fruits and vegetables is a very good idea. Taking them as food as well as supplements can only help his overall health anyway. Many people absorb vitamins in their natural state as food better than in pill form anyway.

I would feel quite optimistic. It can take about a year for a young, sexually active, fertile woman to become pregnant even under the best of circumstances. You didn't mention your age but it sounds like you are in good hands for your reproductive future.

zoey43 - Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:43 pm

Thanks for your response. My husband's problem was not the motility it was the morphology. Did you mean to say the the morphology can change with every sample or the motility or both? I am 34 years old which does concern me. I had my FSH, estrogen, and progesterone levels all checked several months back. Before we started to try to have a baby. All tests came back normal.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:42 am

User avatar I'm sorry I confused the terms. I did actually mean motility. But, morphology abnormality can be temporary so the repeat test is to determine if it is permanent. Yes, this can affect fertilization if it is present again after 3 or 4 weeks. If you, you might consider using donor sperm to achieve pregnancy if you are OK with that concept.