Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Fever and Fertility

lm7131 - Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:54 am

I have a question that I have read multiple answers to and wanted the opinion of the physicians here.

My Husband (28 years old) had the flu two weeks ago. I took his temperature at one point and it was 101.something and the fever broke that same night. I have read that a "moderate"fever can affect sperm and we probably will not be able to concieve for 3 months because of this.

My first question is how high must a fever be to cause potential fertility problems?
Second question is, is there any truth to the the idea that fever will cause fertility problems?
Lastly, If a fever can cause fertility problems, how long after the fever will be be affected (the very next day or the next month)? And how long will it be until the sperm is back to normal?
Thank You so much.
Laurie
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:22 pm

There is a possibility that a prolonged fever could affect sperm production but just normal, run-of-the-mill illness with fever is unlikely to cause a problem. I know of know documented information to indicate at what point any potential danger might be passed. Your husband's fever was not high (considered low grade actually) and not prolonged so I would not expect any repercussions from it.

Good luck in your efforts here.
 lm7131 - Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Thank you for your response. I actually just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant! So I was worried for nothing!
Thanks Again!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:45 pm

User avatar You're welcome.
Congratulations!