Question: Clear, sticky fluid upon excitement

Nasator1 - Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:10 pm

I've noticed lately that whenever me and my girlfriend start getting somewhere or start up a little foreplay (with no clothes being taken off), that there are wet spots appearing through my pants after I have had an erection for a few minutes, maybe less.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a full blown orgasm, but the liquid that comes out is the same consistency as if I did and its clear.

I have three questions about this:

1.) What brought this on and is there a way to stop it?

2.) Does this fluid contain sperm at all and can it possibly get a woman pregnant?

3.) What is it?

Quick and precise help is appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:24 pm

This is called pre-ejaculate fluid and it is perfectly normal, especially in the situation you describe. It is almost reflexive so it's not likely you can control it and prevent it from happening. It can contain sperm so pregnancy is possible if there is penetration of the penis in the vagina, but not through clothes. It is not as likely to result in pregnancy as with regular ejaculate fluid, but care should be taken because of the slight possibility if you have intercourse.

Nasator1 - Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Thank you so much.
That info took a load off my shoulders.
I was also wondering if you could possibly answer questions about a delayed period after emergency contraception?
If not, where should I go on this website?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:24 pm

User avatar Emergency contraception is a powerful dose of hormones and so can affect the period cycles for a few months even. It doesn't necessarily do this but it is normal if it happens too. At any rate, after manipulating hormones this way, one cannot expect periods to just resume in the usual fashion. A period of irregular menses is certainly within the normal range for most women and is not harmful in any way.

This disruption of a woman's cycle is one reason EC is not recommended as a regular from of birth control. Women like the reassurance that a period gives that they are not pregnant. The term emergency contraception says exactly how it should be used.