Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Strong Vaginal Odor during and after intercourse

kweath - Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:50 pm

I would like to have a recommendation or direction of who to talk to. I have a very strong vaginal odor during and after intercourse. I have asked my gynecologist and they said I need to talk to an endocrinologist. I lost my job and am a fulltime student and have no insurance or money to see a specialist. This is embarrassing to me and interferes with my sex life with my husband.

I searched MedLine and found a reference to trimethylamine. Is this possible cause? If so, what are recommended treatments, relief techniques?
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:50 pm

User avatar Hi!

I am unaware why an endocrinologist should be sought for a problem of vaginal odor. Have you tried douching? Betadine douching helps some. For some, eating or applying yoghurt to vagina helps. For others, Vinegar application might help. Have you had cultures taken from your vagina to find out the kind of growth?

bill
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:54 pm

User avatar Dear kweath:
I have a question. You mentioned that you only have this odor during and after intercourse. How long after intercourse do you have this odor and on days that you don't have intercourse do you still have this odor? If it is only during and right after intercourse and you are monogamous I suggest that your sexual partner may have an infection and is passing on the odor of it to you. Also if the odor is caused by your own fungal infection then if your sexual partner isn't treated for it at the same time you are treated then he can reinfect you during intercourse.
I hope this helps.
Thanks for using The Doctor's Lounge,
Carolyn

kweath - Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:04 pm

Well I have noticed this at the beginning of foreplay. The odor is not noticeable until that time. I have tryed douching but it still occurs. When I had my lst exam the doctor did not find any infections, etc.

Thanks for your feedback.