Question: Porn, Masturbation and Erectile Dysfunction

Russell3041 - Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:48 pm

I have been told that there is a link between ED and any one of those two or the two in combination. Yet if I try to google information, I get nothing. I would think that were this true, I would get some pretty substantial returns on a google search. So what gives? Are there any real studies one can look at or is this just here say and urban legends? If it is true, why wouldn't I find a good bit of stuff on the internet through google search which has yet to let me down?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:58 pm

User avatar Hello Russell3041,

To my knowledge, there is no evidence to support this connection. It is likely a perpetuated falsity.

Russell3041 - Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks for the reply Dr. Lowe. I wonder if this connection has been studied at all? How would you even go about testing it? I suppose the best way would be to simply do a survey of individuals in set age ranges both of men with and without ED. I guess the simple questions would be to ask them two things. How often do/did you masturbate and how often do/did you view porn.

Simple answers to start out would be Very often, occasionally, rarely and never.

Then if the survey points one way or the other it might warrant doing a more controlled study.
 willfs - Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:15 am

I am not a doctor or therapists or anything like that but couldn't viewing porn add to an addiction to sex which might affect your ED. Couldn't you get to a point where you require more and more stimuli in order to get that high, thus it gets more and more difficult to get an erection.
 John2000 - Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:02 pm

I think there is a connection.
I say this from my own experience. When i was watching porn, i was soon getting kindda addicted to it, not that i watched it everyday, but i watched it.
Soon i realized that the porn that aroused me didnt arouse me that much when i was watching it more often. I didnt get erection at all!
So i agree that there is a connection from my own experience i can say this. I am pretty sure when i don't watch porn for a long time and then i see it, i might get erection.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:00 am

I have also seen many examples of men who found they did have to have a bigger and better porn fix to get the same stimulation. I have also seen men whose marriages were damaged due to the fact the real thing could never match up to the fake stuff in the porn. On the other hand, I have seen no "scientific" studies to confirm the connection, though it would be a difficult thing to test since it is very subjective. Also, who wants to volunteer to find out if they will achieve erectile dysfunction?

I am sure it is a very individualized thing, but, porn can be addictive and like every other addiction, there is risk involved. In this case it may be your relationship you put on the line. The psyche is a very delicate thing and it is hard to predict how it will affect you. I do know the damage it would do to my relationship. I would not be interested in competing with a porn model or to even be classified with her so I would likely end the relationship over it - call me a prude. This is another side of the coin you may want to consider. Only you can decide if it is a risk you want to take.