Question: 20yo w/ possible erectile dysfucntion.

Blackout816 - Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:53 am

I am 20 years old and I have an occasional problem with getting an erection when my fiance and I try to have intercourse. What information do I need to include to get a good judgement on what is wrong and what I need to do to fix it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:44 pm

The first and easiest thing to try is to not try too hard. What I mean is, enjoy each other with no plan to actually progress to intercourse. See if this kind of physical intimacy results in a better response. It often does. There is tremendous psychological pressure to perform and if you can plan to just take it easy and let things progress however they may, you are likely to have improvement. Try concentrating on her, with other stimulation besides intercourse.

If this exercise (and I don't mean just try it once) does not help, you should consult a doctor to see if there is some underlying problem. Drugs can contribute to this problem and this includes smoking and smokeless tobacco use as well as alcohol and mind-altering drugs. If you take any other medications, this should be considered as well.

About 5% of young men suffer from this disorder but it is often very treatable so don't despair. If I were you I would get rid of the tobacco for more reasons than this.