Question: Difficulty achieving, maintaining erection

rburke - Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:45 pm

I'm 22 years old, male. A while back I entered a relationship with a great lady. We recently tried to consummate it but I was unable to achieve an erection despite pretty vigorous stimulation. I assumed at the time it was because I had been drinking earlier that evening, but on one occasion since then I was sober and still could not get erect enough for penetration. I get aroused (my penis swells a good deal and I release plenty of pre-ejaculate) but it's not enough to actually do anything with it.

I'm otherwise in great health -- haven't been sick in years, I eat reasonably well and get a good-ish amount of exercise (maybe not as much as I should). The only thing I can think of is that I don't really wait to get erect when I masturbate, either, so maybe I've sort of conditioned my body to anticipate orgasm without an erection. I dunno, but I'd like to figure this out; it's very distressing.

Best,

RB
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:02 pm

First you should have a physical exam but if nothing is evident there, you may do well to have some therapy with a competent sex therapist. Much sexual dysfunction arises from psychological and relationship causes. While many men masturbate without it affecting their sex life otherwise, there are some who find it is disruptive, particularly if you use pornography in the process. Real relationships are very different than what the media portrays.

You may also benefit from medications like Viagra, Cymbalta or Levitra.