Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: varicocele and testosterone

Anonymous - Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:12 am

Hello,
i'm 19 years old and i was recently officially diagnosed with a varicocele, though i noticed it when i was 8 or 9 and identified it at the time. my question is: how likely is it that it has reduced my testosterone level? apparently there are studies proving such in certain cases though i couldn't find them.

what troubles me is that i have some symptoms of low testosterone. firstly, i went through puberty at a late time. i don't think my voice changed until i was probably 16 and coming close to 17, which seems late, though it could be a normal variation. i have low quantities of semen. im 19 now, and only grow very slight amounts of peach fuzz, only in the mustache reigon, which needs to be shaved about every 3 or 4 weeks. this seems off to me, and again, maybe it isn't, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the case with any of my peers. i have adhd like symptoms, and a tendency twords depression. my legs are very long in relation to my torso. im 6'4, but i'm all legs. this is apparently a symptom of low testosterone during puberty.

should i have my testosterone levels checked?

thanks,
banjo
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:06 am

User avatar Hi banjo_minoy,
A varicocele is essentially enlarged veins in the testes which disrupts blood flow and prevents adequate cooling. This also contributes to decreased sperm counts. Although a percentage of testosterone is produced in the testes the initial process is triggered in the brain. Symptoms of low testosterone levels may exhibit additional symptoms for example, underdeveloped genitalia, breast enlargement, etc. You may want to discuss testosterone level evaluation with your physician but keep in mind that although there are guidelines for development during puberty, that's exactly what they are, guidelines. It doesn't mean that every single male experiences the exact same changes at the exact same age. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us