Question: varicocele and testosterone

Anonymous - Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:12 am

i'm 19 years old and i was recently officially diagnosed with a varicocele, though i noticed it when i was 8 or 9 and identified it at the time. my question is: how likely is it that it has reduced my testosterone level? apparently there are studies proving such in certain cases though i couldn't find them.

what troubles me is that i have some symptoms of low testosterone. firstly, i went through puberty at a late time. i don't think my voice changed until i was probably 16 and coming close to 17, which seems late, though it could be a normal variation. i have low quantities of semen. im 19 now, and only grow very slight amounts of peach fuzz, only in the mustache reigon, which needs to be shaved about every 3 or 4 weeks. this seems off to me, and again, maybe it isn't, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the case with any of my peers. i have adhd like symptoms, and a tendency twords depression. my legs are very long in relation to my torso. im 6'4, but i'm all legs. this is apparently a symptom of low testosterone during puberty.

should i have my testosterone levels checked?

thanks,
banjo
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:06 am

User avatar Hi banjo_minoy,
A varicocele is essentially enlarged veins in the testes which disrupts blood flow and prevents adequate cooling. This also contributes to decreased sperm counts. Although a percentage of testosterone is produced in the testes the initial process is triggered in the brain. Symptoms of low testosterone levels may exhibit additional symptoms for example, underdeveloped genitalia, breast enlargement, etc. You may want to discuss testosterone level evaluation with your physician but keep in mind that although there are guidelines for development during puberty, that's exactly what they are, guidelines. It doesn't mean that every single male experiences the exact same changes at the exact same age. Best wishes.