Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: LOSS OF VIRGINITY

ScaredLILGirl - Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:18 am

hi, im 22 and i don't know much about sex. im to embarrassed to ask. i just want to know what happens after you have sex. are you supposed to bleed after you have sex? for example ... i had intercourse with my boyfriend for the first time and im supposed to have my piriod in 2 weeks but im bleeding now. im very scared on why this is happening. is this normal or should i worry? and will i also get my regular piriod that im supposed to have in 2 weeks? please let me know that this is normal so i wont worry as much as i am now. thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:07 pm

I am assuming you are describing a regular period; not just minimal spotting. Bleeding between periods is quite normal and common for most women at some times in their lives. Sometimes emotional factors play a part because the balance of hormones is what makes the cycle function as it does. When the hormones fluctuate, the body gets a different message and responds accordingly. This is nothing to worry about.

I can't tell you if you will get your period again at the expected time or not. Sometimes you get an extra period, sometimes a delayed one and sometimes you miss one or two. It is possible that having sex stimulated some hormones and contractions of the uterus, causing your period to start. However, rough sex or sex without adequate lubrication can result in bleeding, but this is usually minimal. It is even possible that you had a hymen that was still mostly intact and the act of intercourse broke it. This is also normal.

If you find yourself bleeding for most of the month for two or three months, you should see a doctor because it is possible you could become anemic. But, I doubt this will be the case for you.