Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Am I pregnant or is it the nuva ring?

smallfry2005kathi - Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:09 am

Ok so let me brief my medical history.....

Diagnosed with pcos in 2004
Miscarriage in 2006
Trying to concieve since 2004

Ok so my last period was on 2/10(my last two cycles were 34 days long), so assuming this cycle is 34 days long my estamated ovualtion day was on 2/25.I had sex on 2/16,2/17,2/20,2/23,2/24,and 2/26,on 3/4 I started my nuva ring (I started it before my next period I just need a break from trying to concieve).On 3/6 I noticed a little light brown mixed with pink spotting on my panty liner.On 3/7 I had some cramps on my left side I thought it was my ovaries but I don't know?and I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative.On 3/8 I seen a lil brown very very light mixed with a lot of cervical mucus(I only noticed it was because it was darker then the toilet paper).Now I've been on the nuva ring on and off for years and this never happened to me before so I would like to know am I pregnant or is this because of the nuvaring?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:15 pm

Either scenario is possible here. Since the NuvaRing is hormonal, it can result in changes in your period and discharge. But, since you had sex prior to the NuvaRing during a potentially fertile time, it could also be due to pregnancy. The only way to know is to do another pregnancy test or two. Usually the ring is started with the period to be sure you are not already pregnant.

Early pregnancy tests can be falsely negative so it's usually good to repeat the test a week or two later. If still negative, most likely you are not pregnant. A few women have very slow rising HcG levels so they persist with negative tests, but this is not common.

Good luck in your efforts to conceive when the time is right.