Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Period a little late, Possible Pregnancy?

CROSES109 - Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:16 pm

my parter and I had "dry sex" a few times three weeks ago
Mostly, it was over the clothes (underwear/pants) however, there were two times in which it was just with our underwear on and once, just for a few seconds, where he had nothing on. He does not get a pre ejaculation fluid and always immediatly got off of me before ejaculation (maybe 10 seconds). Nevertheless, three weeks later I am due for my period. I typically get it on day 24, however, I am on day 27 right now and haven't experienced anything. I seem to be going through late, however normal PMS routines such as tender breasts, emotional behavior as well as breaking out on my face. But, everytime I feel that my period is here, it is nothing and I am starting to worry. I know it may seem paranoid, but I'm unsure that by some chance that I could be pregant or that potentially my stressing over a pregancy is delaying my period. Please reply as soon as possible.
Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:05 pm

With clothes on during sex, pregnancy is not possible. However, just because he does not think there is pre-ejaculate does not mean it is not there so there is always the possibility pregnancy could occur if there is penetration. The "pull out" method of birth control is not especially effective because of this.

Stress can cause a delay in your period so this could be what is happening. Worry about pregnancy is a common cause of stress. Of course, it is also a sign of possible pregnancy so I would get a pregnancy test. The home tests are usually reliable at about a week after your period was due to start. If the test is negative and you still don't have a period, repeat the test one to two weeks later or you can have a blood test done in the doctor's office. These are more sensitive.

If you are not pregnant, I would recommend that you find a reliable form of birth control you can both be comfortable with. You don't need his kind of monthly stress.

Let us know if you have other questions.