Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Severe Bleeding During Sex

peenm - Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:01 pm

My boyfriend and I started having sex, and usually when he he first inserts his penis, he feels a slight twang (uncircumcised) with a little discomfort. However, once into it, there isn't any more discomfort. However, after having intercourse for 10 minutes or so, we noticed a lot of blood! There was enough to soak through the sheets! Anyway, we don't think it was me since I had gotten my period two weeks ago, and then we noticed that there was a slight tear in his frenulum. The blood was bright red, and sticky, not at all like menstrual blood. Anyway, we were wondering if it could be from the tear? It seemed like an awful lot of blood for a little tear, but then again his penis was erect, so we were wondering if it was the blood flow that made it gush like that. Thank you in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:09 am

User avatar Hello Peenm,

The frenulum of the penis is an area that tends to bleed a lot if torn. It is very possible that a tear here could cause a significant amount of bleeding, though bleeding to a dangerous amount would be very unlikely. The blood may also have appeared to be more due to mixing with vaginal and seminal fluid.

These tears do heal well as a typical tear or cut would.

Best wishes.
 peenm - Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:17 am

thank you so much for your reply! that was definitely very helpful.
 HairyOne25 - Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:00 am

A few weeks ago while I was masturbating, I didn't realise the frenulum was dry, and it was torn. There was a lot of blood and it was rather painful. I stopped the bleeding and it sort of healed. However, every time I masturbate (I'm single, and unattached), the same problem comes to the fore.

I've now started to keep it dry with a piece of toilet paper with some Betadine (iodine ointment). Is this correct? I try not to masturbate and when I do, I ensure the frenulum is lubed well with Vaseline.

I'm diabetic (type II) ... if that means anything. My sugar levels averages about 7 ...

Please advise me?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us