Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Beta HCG test - how early can this test be taken?

want2bmom - Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to conceive. My last period was on Feb 23rd and i have a 28-30 day cycle. My husband and I had sex on the 11th, 13th and 15th day. However on my 17th day I developer Urinary Tract Infection and today is my 19th day.
When I visited my doctor to get treated for UTI he wanted to make sure I was not pregnant before he administered me medicines. I had my beta-hcg works done. The doctor says results are negative.
Will Beta-hcg be reliable 4 days past ovulation or so early in the cycle? Is there chances I'm still pregnant.
The reason I ask is because, I have been administered antibiotics for treating UTI and some people say it could be troublesome for pregnancy.

Kindly let me know about the beta-hcg result and how early can it be tested.
Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
About three weeks after your last menstrual period the levels can be measured. Don't worry about the antibiotics. Anything they would give you for a UTI is likely OK in pregnancy. Most antibiotics are safe for short-term use, such as an infection, and have not shown any increase in birth defects. A few of the tetracycline or doxycycline-type drugs are not used but the greatest concern with these is in long-term use.

Many of the drugs that might be in question are in a category of caution just because there has not been enough data to prove safety or they may have been shown to be associated with problems in animal studies. This does not mean they are unsafe in humans. Pregnant women are not used in studies for drug safety so information is always limited. But there are teratology organizations that track information anecdotally and can assure us they appear to be safe. This is because large numbers of pregnant women who took the drugs, either because they needed them or didn't know they were pregnant. Information was obtained after their babies were born and no increase of problems was observed.

Your doctor was wise to check for pregnancy in looking out for your overall health and it may have influenced his decision but since you weren't receiving a strong chemotherapy chances are even if you were pregnant, there would be no problem.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us