Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: After a bilateral Salpingectomy....

 BlissGirl4Life - Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:09 pm

Can you still get pregnant naturally even with no tubes left, or does it have to be by in vitro?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:44 pm

User avatar Hello,
In Vitro would be necessary to achieve pregnancy.

Good luck.
 mrs_h - Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:33 pm

I am a 31 year old married woman with 1 live birth, and 1 death. In 2006, I received a laparoscopy and found out there was scarring and blockage in both tubes. The doctors decided to sever off one tube completely because there was complete blockage. I was told that my other tube was 50% blocked and had scarring also. I''d like to have another child, but don't would like to know how likely my chances are. I am not in favor of in-vitro. Would another HSG be a waste of time? Also, I read an article where the portion of my tube that is scarred is removed and the good portions are sutured together. Would a case like mine be a candidate for such a procedure?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
Even with 50% blockage there is still a good chance you could become pregnant and I would not consider taking action unless I had tried for a while without success first. You only need one egg to be fertilized and travel the tube. So, while I can't say what your particular situation is, it seems worth trying by the usual means and consulting with a gynecologist or fertility specialist for more details about your options should pregnancy not occur spontaneously.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us