Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: How do you know if you can have kids?

Haych - Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to get married soon, and I asked myself the following question:

How do I know if you can have kids?

I know for a fact that I can ejaculate sperm by masturbating, and I can have wet dreams if I stopped masturbating for 1 week or more (varies).

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

H
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:24 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is something most people don't know for sure until they attempt pregnancy. This goes for men as well as women. While a small variety are infertile, most young men are able to impregnate a woman who is also fertile unless they have been treated for cancer or some other disease that may have left them sterile. Typically it takes less than a year of active trying without using contraception. Most people don't have sperm analysis done until they find they are not successful after a period of time. That is the only way to know for sure, but I would not worry; chances are you are fertile and it sounds like you function just fine.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us