Question: Sinus problem during sex

jasan - Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I am a 45 y/o male that has a problem I need help with. During sex, as I get close to orgasm, my sinuses start to drain. This is usually severe enough that I have to stop before orgasm to blow my nose. It is very distracting and quite a mood breaker. It only seems to happen when I'm in the prone position. It has seemed to worsen over the last few years. I have tried OTC anti-histamines prior to sexual encounters, and it has helped, but only slightly. Any suggestions? Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:28 pm

I wonder if you have tried other activities in a prone position to see if it is actually JUST during sex or if it is more a gravity effect on your sinus drainage. Perhaps trying some other physical activity such as pushups might help to deterimine if it is mostly positional. If so, it might warrant a visit to a doctor to find out if there is an underlying cause of the drainage itself which seems to be out of control. Perhaps there is an allergy or nasal polyps.

If you find it is only during sex (absolutely), you may have to alter your position or explore possible allergies. Does your partner use cologne or other perfumed products that may be affecting your sinuses? Do you only have sex at a particular place that is different than where you sleep?

If it is allergy, perhaps seeing a specialist to determine what the offender might be would be in order.