Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Sinus problem during sex

 jasan - Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I am a 45 y/o male that has a problem I need help with. During sex, as I get close to orgasm, my sinuses start to drain. This is usually severe enough that I have to stop before orgasm to blow my nose. It is very distracting and quite a mood breaker. It only seems to happen when I'm in the prone position. It has seemed to worsen over the last few years. I have tried OTC anti-histamines prior to sexual encounters, and it has helped, but only slightly. Any suggestions? Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
I wonder if you have tried other activities in a prone position to see if it is actually JUST during sex or if it is more a gravity effect on your sinus drainage. Perhaps trying some other physical activity such as pushups might help to deterimine if it is mostly positional. If so, it might warrant a visit to a doctor to find out if there is an underlying cause of the drainage itself which seems to be out of control. Perhaps there is an allergy or nasal polyps.

If you find it is only during sex (absolutely), you may have to alter your position or explore possible allergies. Does your partner use cologne or other perfumed products that may be affecting your sinuses? Do you only have sex at a particular place that is different than where you sleep?

If it is allergy, perhaps seeing a specialist to determine what the offender might be would be in order.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us