Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Medication and Fertility

otters76 - Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:33 am

Hi, i would be grateful if anyone has any advice please.

My husband and I have 2 children 11 and 14. My husband was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and has been on regular medication for the last 4 years. Medication includes MST Continus 90mg x2 a day, trazodone, 5mg diazepam a day, sertraline daily. He used to have 60mg citalopram until October.
We were wondering if the medication is causing us problems to conceive.
He is also over-weight, but this is due to his condition which causes him to be inactive and not his diet.
We are both non smokers and gave up for good 5 years ago.

We feel too embarassed and it would be upsetting to go to our GP and ask for a test to see if one of us can no longer have children. Although we have 2 children already, we have always wanted more. I hope people don't think we are greedy wanting more, when i know some people cant have any.

K
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:58 pm

You are certainly not greedy in wanting to enlarge your family. You should do what feels right to you and most people will rejoice in your success when it comes. Even those who cannot achieve can be happy for those who are so blessed that way. Congratulations to you both for your success in quitting tobacco. What a wonderful gift this is to your children, both in physical health and example.

As for the medications - none of these listed would typically cause infertility, assuming your husband is not having erectile dysfunction, which sometimes occurs with medications. If he is able to perform adequately, it is unlikely related to his meds. Some anti-cancer drugs can do this but the ones you have listed are not known to affect this.

I hope you will reconsider seeing someone about possible infertility since there are many treatments available to help in this. Yours would be considered secondary infertility since you have conceived children together before. But, many conditions can come into play here. Hormones can fluctuate. I would recommend having a sperm analysis done. This is relatively easy and done through a urologist. You should have a checkup with your gynecologist to be sure everything is in order there, including thyroid. Your doctor can evaluate for other possible causes of infertility such as PCOS, endometriosis, etc. based on the exam and your history.

If you have been actively trying to conceive for less than a year, it is likely that it still may occur spontaneously. If it has been more than a year, you may need to see about getting some help here. If you are found to be not ovulating regularly, hormones can help.

Good luck with your efforts.