Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Stooping the birth control pill, and want to start again

wong - Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi, I have been taking the birth control pill for almost 6 months now, and after my cycle last month (had my period), I didnt start taking a new pack. I just wanted to take a break for one month, since I will be out of town for a month, and apart from my boyfriend. However, it's more than 1 month already (6 weeks), and I have still not gotten my period yet. I want to get back to being on the pill, but I don't know if I should wait for my period, or i can just start taking it now? What will happen if I start taking now? Will I get back to my regular cycle and get my period after 21 days? Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is recommended that you start the pill with your period and this is mostly to be sure you are not already pregnant. If you have not had any sexual intercourse since your last period, you can start now but you may already be ovulating so you should use a second method of birth control such as a condom with it for the first seven days on the pill.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us